Sunday, August 2, 2009

10 mile run

I've kept up the moderate two-a-day schedule as best as I can...usually entails 4-5 mile runs three times a week, with lifting 3-4 times a week. July wasn't the most consistent with so much travel and diversion, but August will be better.

Today I did something I've never done before. I ran 10.5 miles straight with Hank and Tim. Up to this point my longest run (ever) has been 5.25 miles where I can keep an 8:30 pace. Today we took it a bit more chill, but at the 7ish mile mark, Hank and I pushed up a mile-long incline at an 8:05 pace...the total average pace was 9:36. My lungs were fine - I had to do some deep breathing to clear out some side aches toward the end, but I was never too winded. If my calves could talk they would have some choice words for me, but I think I can stretch through it. My knee got a little sore at mile 8, but it loosened up again by the end. Warming cream is the greatest.

It's encouraging to know I've got that kind of mileage in me. The last mile was very tough mentally - it felt like Hank was dragging me home. I understand how running long distances is tough mentally. Sometimes willpower is all you have to fuel your last mile.

So, I feel like I accomplished something today. yippee. I might have to sign up for a 10 mile race this fall and see if I can't push myself harder.

1 comment:

  1. I think that means you are ready to join Lena and I in a half marathon! :) - Birdy

    ReplyDelete